Candidacy for Weight Loss Surgery: Cedar Park Surgeons, PA (Near Austin)
Weight loss surgery can transform the lives of those who are threatened by morbid obesity and related health issues. Most individuals who undergo weight loss surgery lose their excess body weight, keep it off, and live healthier, fuller lives. However, weight loss surgery is not an appropriate solution for every person who struggles with obesity. Our Cedar Park bariatric surgeons, can help you determine whether you are a suitable candidate for weight loss surgery. Performed at Cedar Park Regional Medical Center, near Austin, such procedures as the laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and Sleeve gastrectomy can help you reach your weight loss goals. To speak to an experienced bariatric surgeon, contact us.
Am I a Candidate for Weight Loss Surgery?
Generally, suitable candidates for weight loss surgery are:
- Between the ages of 18 and 65 (individuals who are younger or older than this age bracket are considered on a case-by-case basis).
- Obese with a high body mass index, or BMI. Body mass index is a calculation of body weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A BMI over 35 is considered severely obese, and a BMI over 40 is considered morbidly obese. Surgery is appropriate for patients with a BMI of 40, or 35 with a life-threatening co-morbidity such as type II diabetes, sleep apnea, or uncontrolled hypertension.
- Struggling with an obesity-related condition, like hypertension, heart disease, or sleep apnea.
- Currently trying to or have tried in the past to lose weight through other means, such as diet and exercise.
- Psychologically ready for weight loss surgery and willing to commit to dramatic post-operative lifestyle changes.
How Can I Prepare for Weight Loss Surgery?
There are several aspects of the surgery which require preparation. The first, the physical aspect, may require Austin / Cedar Park-area weight loss surgery candidates to follow a six-month, medically supervised weight loss program involving diet and exercise. Losing some of the excess weight pre-operatively allows our surgeons to perform a safer and more effective surgery and helps our patients to recover faster. Additionally, since the surgery is just one component of a comprehensive weight loss program, patients must understand and prepare for the mental and emotional aspects of the surgery. Patients undergo a psychological evaluation to assess their mental readiness for the surgery and the lifestyle changes that must accompany it for long-lasting, successful results. Cedar Park Surgeons works in conjunction with a licensed psychologist to conduct these evaluations and coach patients on the kinds of mental adjustments they should anticipate after surgery.
Does Cedar Park Surgeons Offer a Non-Surgical Medical Weight Loss Option?
Our practice is happy to offer a non-surgical medical weight-loss program option for people that have a little weight to lose or a lot. This program is utilized as part of our bariatric surgery pre-operative weight loss, but is structured to assist anyone motivated in losing weight, to do so.
Cedar Park Surgeons is proud to announce its affiliation with The Center for Medical Weight Loss, which offers three distinct and comprehensive medical weight loss program options. The program options are individually customized by the board certified physicians at Cedar Park Surgeons. All weight loss programs are individually custom tailored and focus on both the physical and behavioral aspects of the weight loss process. Please contact our practice to discuss all of your weight loss options and schedule your one on one consultation with one of our board certified doctors.
Contact Cedar Park Surgeons, PA: Drs. Alan Abando and Nicole Basa
If you’d like to determine your candidacy for bariatric surgery at our weight loss surgery center in the Austin area, contact our Cedar Park bariatric surgeon team to attend a free bariatric seminar. Dr. Abando and Dr. Basa would be happy to answer any questions you might have about our procedures or practice.